Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Initial thoughts on Dynamics GP 2010

I have had an opportunity to take a look at Dynamics GP 2010 (aka Dynamics GP 11). The actual release is scheduled for May 2010. I have only spent a few hours looking around and I have not had an opportunity to load Sharepoint 2010 yet, so I have not been able to play with the new dashboard features.

There are some nice new features; such as, consolidating multiple budgets, budget transactions and the ability to exclude inactive records from lookup lists. I would have to say the number one feature is the ability to use Microsoft Word 2007 to print and email invoices, packing slips, orders and purchase orders. There are several templates that ship with the software and you can also modify them or create new ones. I am sure this is a features many long time users will really appreciate. I know we all love Dynamics GP Report Writer, but if you can use Word and even email the forms I guess I will give up the Report Writer.

I am looking forward to getting a look at Management Reporter. This is the new financial statement report designer that will be replacing FRx. I did get an initial look at Management Reporter last year when it was part of Performance Point and I certainly liked the new interface. Also Management Reporter will be able to run 64 bit, so I am sure many IT departments will like that. Hopefully the beta of Management Reporter will be able soon.

I am going to continue working with GP 2010 and will let you know soon what other features will be coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment